Friday, February 14, 2014


day 14

29 faces




monoprint of the traditional japanese talisman,

maneki-neko

often seen in the entrance of places of business, shops and  restaurants

to beckon customers and good luck.  the calligraphy is an 17th century

coin signifying wealth.





first i made a wire form




so you can see the size




after printing it in black ink on the press i colored it in with these acrylic pens.  

it was like paint by numbers.

i made another print and am thinking i might 

paint it in an untraditional way.




3 comments:

  1. What an interesting technique - and an interesting print too. I have never heard of printing from wire as you have done here, and am really intrigued. I have a little wire face I made on a course a couple of years ago when we were making wire structures, so one day I shall try this.
    I have never seen the acrylic pens, but I have taken a note of the name and shall look on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful Maneki Neko! Enjoying your 29 so much.

    ReplyDelete