Wednesday, February 5, 2014

day 5

29 faces

this morning i started with an unfinished early collage 

sitting in on a closet shelf.    i find knowing i will paint a painting a day 

is a soothing thought.  i know that i will spend

whatever time it takes to discover what painting 

will emerge.  there is no conflict, only a focus and 

willingness to be with the process.




after more paper and glue




and then completed.





according to the authors of creative collage techniques, 

collage was first used about 200 bc after paper was invented

in China.  but it wasn't until the 10th century in japan that it became 

widely used by calligraphers to accompany their poems.

i like thinking that perhaps some of my ancestors where early

collage artists and poets. 


a poem by hermann hesse
translated by robert bly

sometimes

sometimes, when a bird cries out,
or the wind sweeps through a tree,
or a dog howls in a far off farm, 
i hold still and listen a long time.

my soul turns and goes back to the place
where, a thousand forgotten years ago,
the bird and the blowing wing
were like me, and were my brothers.

my soul turns into a tree,
and an animal, and a cloud bank.
then changed and odd, it comes home
and asks me questions.  
what should i reply?


sunset from redondo beach looking at palos verdes where i live






10 comments:

  1. I'm always promising myself that I will try this type of collage, but I am stumped when I think 'I don't know where to start'. So your early stages here are helpful. The other thing that stops me is the patience it must take - you have a lot of patience to create something like this. The faces are all so interesting and characterful - and it's intriguing to put together the alphabet letters to make 'revolution'. Lovely to see another facet of your great talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find this collage freeing. I have often just started gluing down paper without any sketch. It more quickly than you think. Try is sometime :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing how it changed - well done. Love the poems you find too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did change quite a bit but I think it retains some of the original character. I love poetry and used to write it daily but never thought to add it to my blog. I am glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. Just plain too much fun! Love it! You and Jacki Long should have a collaborative show! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, where the process took you. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this looks so great with all this little pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete