Saturday, April 14, 2018

hello, I have been experimenting with gelli plate magazine transfers

 after watching  brigit koopsen's  youtube tutorial.

i experimented with various paints, different magazines,

images and amount of paints.  here are three examples. 




the actual transfer was a failure here but what was left of 

 the magazine image turned out intriguing. 





one of the eyes did not transfer so I collaged a face 

that I had previously drawn on a vintage dictionary page.





more paint was added after the transfer was made to complete this print.



in summary, so far in experimenting with gelli transfers, I found the results to be hit or miss.

I have not been able to determine what the factors are that make a successful print.

one transfer from a magazine would not transfer at all, while another

would.   the one thing that is consistent is that a thin coat of acrylic 

gives best results.  it is a fun and relatively easy process and I will continue play with. 




while I visited my son and fiancé in chicago last week 

I finally was able to visit the center for intuitive and outsider art where I 

found one of the exhibits to be absolutely fascinating.






henry danger was a gifted and obsessed artist who never

told anyone he created art.  his art was discovered by his landlord 

after he died at the age of 81.  fortunately, his landlord was a photographer

and recognized the talent of this reclusive hospital janitor.





henry's small room was filled with magazines, a large sized manuscript of 

mixed media art and writing.  the contents of the room was donated 

to the center and is on display.  






the manuscript in process was over 1000 pages and became 

so large and  unwieldy that the only place henry could put it 

in his room was on the bed so he would sleep on a chair .





his work sells for thousands of dollars and is collected by museums

and galleries throughout the country.  there is also a book published

posthumously on his life and works.




  he is considered an outsider artist because of his lack of formal training.  










this was a full week.   I also visited the chicago art institute, 

an egyptian portrait exhibit at northwestern and another 

fascinating exhibit at the center for intuitive and outsider art and 

the mosaic and tile house in venice.  I will share pictures of these next week.




thank you for visiting today.  i always appreciate your

comments and am interested in your feedback.



linked with friends at paint party friday an online community 
hosted for 6 years by eva and kristen

14 comments:

  1. Irene, I am fascinated by new-to-me techniques and this one is one I will have to try today. Thanks for sharing your wonderful transfers and the link to learn how to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a lovely visit with your son and created some wonderful art here too!

    Namaste,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you created on and off the gelli plate. I have yet to try this technique will soon. Stunning results even if you did not achieve at first what you thought you were going to achieve. Just great! Brian is going to be so envious of your visit to see Darger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try this gel pate technique but haven't taken the time to do it. I really like how your transfers turned out- the partial transfers add a mystery I think. It's wonderful you get to see so many exhibits. Thanks for sharing - just sad that no one knew about this talent before he died and that he didn't get to enjoy the rewards of the accolades. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always interesting posts with such beautiful art Thanks for sharing your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your transfers turned out fabulous!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED that first piece especially. It is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting technique, and thanks for sharing your art discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting transfers. Most like the 2.one, it's fascinating.
    Thank you for sharing art and info of Henry Darger. Lucily it is now public as it's worth it.
    Have a inspiring week ahead ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved it all! I think the unexpected often exceeds?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your transfers are so gorgeous! They turned out so well. Love the exhibits too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating post today! Love the geli plate printing process...outcome is stunning. It might be the ink on the paper that makes the difference on the transfer. I know it does in other cases...love Henry's story. .I have no doubt there are many an artist writer with unpublished hidden works everywhere! Just lucky a photographer came upon it! Meaty post!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love your pieces, they are wonderful and have a beautiful atmosphere. It was interesting to learn about Henry Darger, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great experiments. And thanks for sharing about Henry's art, very interesting...

    ReplyDelete