Saturday, January 7, 2012

Boxing up 2011


No matter how hard I try not to have a new year resolution,
 January is a month of reflection, evaluation,
and new goal setting.  Tomorrow I will
be presenting a project to my 
experimental art group
that will reflect 
new beginnings.
It is this 
Exploding Box
of 2011.




We will be using our 2011 calendar as a springboard.  All of us touch 
our calendars daily.  It is a part of our daily ritual. On it is recorded the events 
of our lives, births, deaths, appointments, lunches, dinners, 
entertainment,  all that we do on a daily basis.  Instead of 
tossing the calendar or putting it in a box and never 
looking at it, we will look at what we did, where
we went, who we saw. 

When the lid is taken off, 
three graduated sized
panels spring open.



This is how the panels look before they are glued together in the center.
I placed post-its on each panel for the 12 months.



The supplies for this box are:  scissors, pencil, pen, glue stick,
photos, 4 sheets of 12" x 12" scrapbook paper, though any 
heavy paper will work, and decorative tape.


For this sample box I decided not to do a year in retrospect.  Instead I used photos I took of 
a collage my son made on poster board when he was in elementary school.   
The collage told the story of  his life, his passions, interests, fears, goals at a 
young age but is was collecting dust and we did not have a good place for it.  
This little box was the  perfect solution to preserve his memories.

For the actual project tomorrow we will be using  2011 photos, words
 and memorabilia to tell the story of our year.  
I think it will be fun.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on your explosion box. I have always been meaning to try one. I think your box is giving me the inspiration.
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh that is so cool, and I have my 2011 calendar sitting on my coffee table, trying to decide what to do with it cause it's so pretty, thank you so much now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a really great way to box up a gift as well...hmmm I also like the idea of using it for my One Little Word "Joy" this year. Thanks for the inspiration and hope that your hubby is recuperating well. Fondly, Roberta
    www.loveshackliving.com

    ReplyDelete